Sunday, May 13, 2012

She didn't sell out

There is a street here called Bagdat Caddesi, a street known for it's shopping and classy stores, as well as a variety of restaurants. In my mind, it's comparable to Robson Street in Vancouver- shopping central. It is kind of fun to take a couple of hours to yourself and stroll down this street, especially on a nice day and puruse through whatever stores grab your attention. When we were on this street a few weeks ago for a ladies dinner together, Mel pointed out this one house that stands alone on the street. It really stands out beccause this isn't a neighbourhood at all. It is a shopping district and here we have 1 lone house standing there next to Zara.

Here it is.

It stands right next to Zara and Vakko:

                                                      Juxtaposition?- I think so.
A house anywhere here is a pretty rare and impressive sight; A house on Bagdat Caddesi takes it to a whole new level- just imagine, the contrast next to these huge consumer outlets!
As we passed by this house, Mel's words were,
"Wow, the owner of this house didn't sell-out!"
I've been sitting on those words the last few weeks. I actually went back to Bagdat Caddesi just to see this house and fully take in the meaning of that sentiment. I saw the owner of this house, an older woman, watering her garden and just thought "she didn't sell-out!" Although I'm sure she'd get a good penny for her property, if she were to sell it to The Gap, Zara, Starbucks or any other mega franchise; however, it was hers and wasn't just giving it up. I've been thinking about our lives a little bit and the meaning behind the phrase, "She didn't sell-out." In John 10:10 it says that, "the thief comes to steal, kill and destroy, but [Jesus] has come that we may have life and have it to the full." I don't want us to sell-out to this world or to whatever may so easily grab our attention or momentarily pleasure. I desire to not sell-out, but to stand firm in my identity as a daughter of the High King, as his Beloved ,and walk in all that the Father has planned. I think he has much in store. I wan to walk in the Fullness of all He offers and has for me.
I pray you would too. Let's be a people clinging to what Jesus promises.

No comments: