Monday, May 28, 2012

Express your love

I've been doing some thinking about the 5 Love Languages. If you're not familiar with them, Dr. Gary Chapman concludes there are 5 overarching ways to express and receive love- hence "The 5 Love Languages." Of the countless ways we can show love to one another, five key categories, or five love languages, proved to be universal and comprehensive—everyone has a love language, and we all identify primarily with one of the five love languages: Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service, and Physical Touch. To learn more about the five love languages click here. What's your Love Language?

I'd say I've been on a journey of "love language discovery" over the past months. I have definitely learned more about myself and which actions speak love most loudly to me. The love language thing is an equation because some expressions are easier for us to give and others are not as natural; some love languages are more meaningful to us than others, and coincidently, our primary love language (that we like receiving) is often our easiest way to express love to others.

It's really something when you find someone who 1. knows your love language and can respond to you by showing love in that particular way. 2. shares the same love language as you, so naturally it's easier for you to communicate love with them. That being said, there is also something beautiful about getting to know someone so well that you know what will be meaningful to them, especially when it's not in your top love language. It says something about how much the other person means to you that you would be willing to put in the extra effort to acknowledge them personally. I am reminded that love is not self-seeking, so when we take notice of which expressions of love would be significant to the other person, we put them before ourselves. Sometimes this can be stretching.

I think about how uniquely we've each been made. My brother's love language is Gift Giving. He knows how to make people feel special by giving them thoughtful, personalized gifts. I remember when he got everyone in the family fudge and since I'm not a huge chocolate fan, he got me  Strawberry Fudge. He knew me and was aware of the fact that I wouldn't care for the chocolate fudge. He got each person their favourite flavour and it reminds me of the details he knows about each of us. Gift giving is not my love language! I struggle with this one!

I am grateful for my friend Michelle, who knew that Words of Affirmation is my top Love Language and gave me an envelope filled with cards for my time away from home. She gave one card for me to open on the first of every month (and a special Christmas card). I can't tell you how much I've looked forward to opening these cards (and I have been a good girl and followed her instructions to "not cheat"). Her choice of cards has been so good and her words of encouragement have given me what I have needed, both on the first of the month and then along the way as I have gone back when I need little "truth" reminders. I can't believe there is only one card left in the brown envelope that I left home with- June 1st is the last one!

There's something about *words* that speaks to me. Words go a long way for me, both in the positive direction and in the negative direction. I don't handle criticism very well because I tend to take words pretty personally. I am grateful for the people who have done an amazing job of keeping in contact with me over the past 7 months. The words you offer give me life, strength for the day, and affirmation. I feel connected when people give me words. I feel love when people speak words of life to me.


Just a few of the *words of love* people have given to me.
This picture was taken near the beginning of my time here.
A few months ago, the wardrobe was almost completely covered with *words.*
I love working with people. I hope I would be sensitive to others and recognize ways of acknowledging people and showing love to them in ways that truly speak to them. 



No comments: