Monday, June 4, 2012

What's in a name?

"Miss Victoria"   
I remember the day I arrived, the night I first got here. I had received little bios about each family, but I had never met them before. I didn't really know what to expect, but every part of me knew this was right. I walked in the door and the kids were waiting up for me (even though it was past their bedtime). They had cards in their hands that said, "Welcome Miss Victoria." Although I was extremely tired, I remember this so distinctly. I remember Ruth saying, "Is it okay if they call you Miss Victoria?" Yes, that suited me just fine. And actually it has become one of my favourite things here. I love that I am a teacher, friend, older-sister, auntie, and mentor kind of figure in 9 children's lives right now. My heart is warmed when I hear them call, "Miss Victoria." I think about how the kids welcomed me without any reservations and how we've all been able to go about sharing school, team fellowships, family dinners and special occasions together.

Last week I got a little Starbucks surprise. The baristas usually ask for your name, so they can make your personalized drink and call you by name when it's ready. This time when I got my latte, I found this name written on the side of it. Shocking! My heart melted! Yes, I know we all hold the title of "Miss, Ms., Mrs., or Mr." however, "Miss Victoria" has and will always have a significant attachment in my heart because of these kids.

Do they know how much they mean to me?

My life is full. Experiencing abundance. Living life to the full.

I praise; I rejoice. I thank
My God
For being invited into their lives.

2 comments:

Mel said...

That is super cool!

Anonymous said...

Oh Victoria! This made me cry ... along with you. So very special. :)