Thursday, April 5, 2012

A Taste of Home

Although that sounds *So* cliche I couldn't resist putting that as the title for this post! It's during the holidays when you're away that you tend to really miss family and the special things you do together to celebrate with one another. But I think back to Christmas, and remember how memorable it was here. Of course, I missed home, but I think it will be a Christmas I will never forget because we made it as special as we could- and when you're away from family, you do what you can to ensure that you are still together with those who are around you and CELEBRATE as a[n extended] family!

The last few days I found myself a little down because of a bunch of factors, but primarily because I won't be home to celebrate Easter and My Big 25th Bday with everyone.

All this as a prologue to say that Today was a brighter day- literally the sun was shining and we had a high of 20 degrees, but also R and I had a blast baking PASKA together- Easter Bread.

In my family, Paska is just part of Easter. Some years Grandma has even decorated this special Easter Bread to look like a bunny! So, last week when R and I were talking about Easter, I asked if she bakes Paska. Although she had never done it before, she was up for trying something new! We both did our research; we emailed family memebers at home asking for "THE RECIPE." We compared recipes and we looked over ingredients to ensure we could find them all here [or slightly modify if needbe] and settled on this one (http://www.mennonitegirlscancook.ca/2009/03/paska-lovellas-recipe.html- thanks Lovella ) in the end. We borrowed a blender from a friend and it worked really well. We had so much fun. Of course, I couldn't have Paska without the Pineapple Cream Cheese Icing our family makes to go with it. So, my grandma emailed me the recipe as best as she could describe it (because she doesn't really follow a recipe for it) and I bought the ingredients that would be as close as possible (we don't really have the same cream cheese here, but we can find something that tastes pretty good). Here we were, baking up a storm:

~Orange and Lemon Rind ~


~ It worked really well to use the blender ~

~ Here she is... one Amazing Baker! ~
~ How does she do it? Makes it look so easy ~

~ Kneading wasn't as easy for me! ~ More experience kneaded! ~

~ Two happy ladies, Friends forever ~

~ Here they are ~
~ We used half sized tins and loved how they turned out. ~

~ Perfect! ~ Delicious! ~ Happy Easter! ~


"The sun comes up; it's a new day dawning; It's time to sing your song again;
Whatever may pass and whatever lies before me, let me be singing when the evening comes...

Bless the Lord Oh my Soul, Oh my Soul, Worship His Holy Name;
Sing like never before, Oh my Soul, Worship Your Holy Name."


Special shout out to my Grandma and Auntie Dianne. Love you!

No comments: