Saturday, April 14, 2012

Jazz Music, Expensive Tea and ME!

Happy 25th Birthday to Me-

I had a lovely birthday. The picture to the left is of my friend Neşe and I (Mel, if I were to ever get another tattoo, it would say Neşe... but I'm going to keep the classy V and just stick with one). Neşe means *JOY* and this woman radiates joy wherever she is. In her presence, you can't help but feel loved. My dear friends Mitch and Cindy introduced me to her and we just clicked right away. She has been my adopted mother here, inviting me for tea, borek, and mantı on different occasions. She is a language helper here, but to me she is a friend. I love when she uses simple non- English phrases with me that I can understand. We just chat up a storm together and often times her son joins us. He is like an older brother. He is so respectful to his mother and very polite. I ask him questions about his country, his family, his education and what he likes to do for fun. We talk about culture and we all just have a good time drinking tea and laughing together. A while ago, Neşe and I had talked about going to the Marmara Hotel to listen to live Jazz Music. We needed a special reason to go and my birthday seemed like the perfect day for a Classy outing like that! HARIKA (it means Wonderful)! I met at her house at 2pm last Saturday for this özel gün (special day). She said we had some time before we had to leave and asked me to sit down. Before I knew it she started bringing out plates and glasses and then all of a sudden... A CAKE! I had no idea we would have a little party at home first. Here's a picture of Akin and I with the cake. Thank you Neşe! I have to tell
you though, that Neşe insisted on giving me a second piece of cake (after the first huge piece she had already given me) and what could I do? I was already full, but could I decline the piece? I didn't want her to think I didn't like it, but I was seriously full. Ah! So, ok, I had to eat a second one! My belly was bursting after that! I probably ate1/3 of the cake! Akin did not object to his two pieces. Without time for the cake to digest we were out the door, on our way to the Marmara Hotel. We took the bus, then the ferry, then the Tunel and then walked. As soon as we arrived at the street where the Hotel is on, Neşe asked if I wanted to eat again. WHAT?? I just ate 1/3 of a cake! She asked me three times if I wanted to stop for food. Finally, after the third time she explained to me that the food at the hotel is pretty expensive, so it would be best if we ate dinner beforehand and then just drank tea while we listened to the music. Sure, ok, I will try to eat more food!
Goodness, I guess that's what birthdays are for!
  
 Along the way we also stopped at two Catholic churches. Since it was Easter Weekend, it was especially meaningful to pause and think on the work of the Cross and our salvation and hope in Jesus. We remembered this nation and all the people walking by who need to know that Jesus offers us hope, reconcilation and salvation. Finally we reached the Hotel. We sat down and ordered our Chai and a cute little sürpriz came with it each time. We got comfy and sipped our chai as the musicians played. The jazz combo consisted of a pianist, clarinetist and vocalist. I thought it was pretty cool to hear a clarinet player in the trio, since usually Sax is more often a "Jazz instrument."  They did such a good job! It brought me back to my highschool days and
playing in the Jazz Band at Hansen. To our delight the musicians came around to meet the audience during their intermission and we were all happy to capture the memory together with a picture!

Turns out each cup of chai was 7 Lira and we got 3 each! Sheesh- it's usually 1TL/ chai.
 (guess we could have had 21 cups of chai elsewhere... but it was an özel gün, so it was justified)
Here we are- Neşe and I.
May the Saviour fill our hearts with *JOY* each day.

No comments: