Friday, March 23, 2012

Be Bold!

Hey Readers! I decided to get my hair cut.
Let me recap the whole Kuafor (hairdresser) experience for you.
Well springtime has sprung and the weather has been beautiful this week. I've been thinking of getting my haircut for the last little while. I like it long, but honestly don't know how to really manage it and just end up putting it in a pony tail (well one of my nice side-pony's... but that was getting pretty boring). I could not get the idea out of my head on Wednesday, and then I ended up getting Thursday morning off. Perfect! I had an
opportunity to go to the Kuafor!

The thing is that it took a lot of COURAGE to go. First of all you may or may not know that I've never been to the "real hairdresser" since my mom has always cut my hair. So this was a first. Secondly, you know haircuts usually result in tears at somepoint for me, as I am super impatient and indecisive, which don't make for a good combination at the salon. Thirdly, this act took a lot of boldness because I can barely speak T..kish- so you can only imagine how I felt about trying to describe what I wanted with pretty much only hand gestures. Oh boy!

Anyways, most hairdressers are men here. I went to the one right behind my
house. I walked in and said some words that I hoped made a sentence that made
sense; however, I later learned that I said, "I say English" not "I speak English." Close enough to what I wanted to convey. I just wanted them to know that I couldn't speak their language, so this language barrier stood in the way of me being able to easily communicate what I wanted to.
Anyways, the young guy washed my hair and then the guy, probably in his 30s, came and cut it. I guestured that I wanted it shoulder length and that I wanted the back shorter than the front. After his first snip off the back I gave a very freightened face, and the poor guy probably thought he had just done the worst thing ever; however, it was all good. I was just nervous! He did a great job. Once it was shoulder length I wanted to go shorter. He kept showing me the back
in the mirror, which was nice of him. I was on edge though. The whole thing was pretty nerve racking. I wasn't offered tea- like the other customers- probably because I looked too intense!
But I'm so pleased with how it turned out! I just kept saying
"Cok (pronounced choke) guzel!" which means very pretty/ nice.
He could tell I was happy with it...

Then got my eyebrows threaded... and walked out paying 40 lira ($24).

So there we go... my short hair is back! Hope it's easy enough to maintain!
This is also the background description of my facebook status that I put up yesterday
- "Today is a good day to be BOLD!"

Another bold thing I did yesterday was join Dave in leading singing for a
prayer meeting at in the evening- and we weren't singing in English!
I sometimes just looked at the lyrics, and thought "oh boy!" that's a mouthful... but singing is
surprisingly easy because the words are broken up by syllable with the melody.
It was a great honour to be asked to join Dave and step out.
So there we have it folks... a new hairstyle.
Don't let anything hold you back.
Language won't hold me back. I conquered the Kuafor!
Language won't hold me back. I worshipped with all my heart!
"ışık babası sevinirsin çocuklarınla"
(I'll leave you to google translate that one if you want).

No comments: