Sunday, September 23, 2012

Lifestyle of Generosity!

One of the biggest things I've taken with me from the time I spent with the Oommen's, the Berg's and Braun's is how generous they are. I recall being at the Oommen's one day to teach the kids and Bindu invited me to stay for dinner. My response to her invitation was, "You don't have to. I can cook at home." She looked at me and said, "Of course we don't have to. We want to." Those words have stuck with me. I think back on when I was leaving and Matt and Ruth came to say goodbye. I returned to them the many things they had lent me. As we left my house, I thought it rather amusing that their hands were full of stuff- a fan (to save me from the heat that was just coming out for the summer), a toaster (so I could enjoy BP and Banana toast for breakfast), and Capris (thanks to Ruth I had some comfy JOE capris to wear that came all the way from Canada), just to name a few. When I didn't have something, they were quick to say I could use one of theirs. I think about how I had to get a residency permit and Dave gave of his time to help me through this process. He had to cancel his language lessons and accompany me over to the office all the way on the European side where that stuff is dealt with. Again, a demonstration of generosity in action. With these models, I have come to want to exhibit this *generous* lifestyle. I've been so impacted by it that as a result I choose to embrace a lifestyle of generosity. Yes, I've had several moments of practicing this over the past little while, and what a joy it is to give! This week, I was also the recipient of two special acts of generosity. My socks were blessed off that's for sure! Firstly, I got to meet with grandpa for lunch. He is 75 now, and during our lunch hour I reminded myself of the fact that he's lived 3 of my life times. Wow, he must be so rich in experience and memories. After lunch he wanted to give me some money. Like before, he didn't have to, but he wanted to. In that moment, I think it best to receive and be blessed. Then, this past week I had posted on facebook that I wanted a bike and was wondering if anyone had any leads for me. My parents often bike when the weather is nice and Curtis has been encouraging me to take up biking, so I was on the lookout for a used bike. Well yesterday my Uncle came with a special delivery for me- exactly what I had wanted- A bike, complete with a helmet and lock to accompany it. WOW! As it turns out, my aunt had bought the bike from Costco and only been able to ride it a few times before realizing that she couldn't continue riding because of injury. Such generosity. I was able to then take the gift that my grandpa had given to me and say thanks to my Aunt and Uncle for the bike. The act of generosity has such vast ripples.


~ My Saturday Surprise! ~


~ Thank You ~

Generosity: I think on the principal of acting out of a recognition that 1. All that we have is God's. 2. We seek the Lord and respond as he leads 3. We know that God is lavish and generous 4. We know we are sons and daughters of the living God 5. We know his character and trust him in all things.
 
Let your requests be made known.
 
Are we a people who embrace a lifestyle of generosity?