Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Giving Responsibility

I learned a life lesson last week. It was one of those light bulb moments, where I had to take a step back and think "hmm... so that's how it works!" I was teaching Japanese students. Our program was different from the typical programs we do with short term exchange students. This one was more academic in its nature. With that the students were assigned different topics to focus on studying while they were here. I was assigned the topic "Environment." I'm not an environment expert, but I really enjoyed learning more about different aspects of the environment (like an ecological footprint, what we can recycle, life cycle of salmon, natural resources in Canada, just to name a few). All this preface to say that each group had to do a 5-10 minute presentation. In all honesty that was sort of sprung on me because I thought we were presenting on Friday, but on Wednesday morning I was informed that we were presenting that afternoon. But remember the last post, "Keep calm and carry on," - that's what I had to do. So I decided to totally put it in the students' hands. I gave them a couple of ideas, but really it was their presentation, so I wanted them to run with it. I was there for support and to assist as they needed me, but I really wanted them to take ownership of this presentation. Guess what! They did such a fantastic job! I was so impressed with their presentation. I suppose the "Aha" moment that came out of this for me is that sometimes the best thing you can do for someone else is give them responsibility. If you take charge and limit the responsibility they have, you don't let them take full ownership. When you give responsibility, the students can choose to rise to the occasion, work together and see their task achieved. I loved their creativity! As it turns out each group's presentation was judged by all of the teachers. I got so many compliments on my group's presentation. I was so proud of them! My remark back to the teachers was that the students are smart, capable and creative and did it on their own! Funny thing is that Amy and I were a little worried about these presentations (weren't clear of what our final product would look like, had very little direction), so after we had talked about it we prayed that our groups' presentations would come together well and that both of them would stand out in a positive way. Our prayer was answered and we were both placed in the top 5 (of 21 presentations). My group ranked first place! I am reminded to give others responsibility, as a sign to show them that I trust them and am confident in their abilities!

 

~ Masuhiro, Mariah, Yuki, Misa, Mami ~

~ My awesome group! ~

This makes me think of  the similarities with parenting (not that I know from experience). Again, I see the correlation between giving responsibility and seeing children rise to the occasion when you give it to them. I think we say, "I trust you. You can do it!" when we give children responsibility. I'm so appreciative of how my parents have raised me, giving me opportunities to be responsible and develop responsibility. Of course, they were there helping me deliver newspapers and driving me to my first job, but they equipped me to gain more responsibility. They turned it over to me and said they believed I could take on the responsibility. For that I am grateful! Giving responsibility doesn't means things will always go smoothly. It doesn't mean people are guaranteed to make the best decisions, but it means we believe in them. It means we trust they will learn from it and will grow. It means we are giving up control and giving them new and exciting opportunities. And actually in giving up "our rights" we grow too!

Responsibility- a gift worth giving!

No comments: