Saturday, March 3, 2012

A late night post

It's after 3:30am, I am wide-eyed, listening to the music of Christy Nockels (love this girl!) and enjoying the moment. I wanted to tell you about "My Big Fieldtrip" on Thursday. The kids attend a public school here and the entire school went on a fieldtrip this past Thursday. Like our fieldtrips at home, the invitation was open for parents to come along. One of the girls asked if I could come. I was delighted by the invitation! I gave it the weekend to think about it before making a decision. The only thing is that I wasn't sure about saying "Yes" because not knowing the language has caused some feelings of uneasiness within me. I go to the school every Friday to teach English to the grade one class; however, it always makes me a little sad when the kids come running up to me, all eager to see me and then start speaking to me in a language that I don't understand. It leaves me not knowing how to respond to them, wishing so badly that I could say something back to them. Even though they know that I don't understand them, it doesn't hold them back from running up to me, full of energy, spilling something new with me. All of this made me question whether or not I wanted to go along on the fieldtrip, but I overcame the obstacle that stood in my way and did this for our kids. I didn't end up getting to go with the girls' class, but instead went with Z and the grade 1 class. All of the moms who came along were great and really made sure I felt included, welcomed and part of the group. I was thankful for that.
Z and I had a blast! We explored the Aquarium together- we saw all sorts of sea creatures!
I was impressed at how much the Aquarium had.
At lunch time Z and could not resist getting an ice cream cone. Both of us love Strawberry Ice Cream. On the bus ride home we listened to music on my ipod together. I'm glad we could share the day together.
I'm glad I went. It wasn't scary. It wasn't uncomfortable. It was right and it was good.
~ be bold ~ Be Bold! ~ BE BOLD! ~
What scares you that belongs to you? What would happen if you claimed it as your own?

1 comment:

Kay said...

V, it is so great to read your stories, and they are so positive and inspiring. Thank you for sharing them.