Monday, December 26, 2011

"Christmas Joy"

the cookies, candy and icing
One very conscientious student's plate
Grade One Class
Walking in Truth
Intentionally Loving
The teacher and I- colleagues.

On Fridays I get to teach English for about half an hour at a local public school. This is a highlight! We had wanted to do something "Christmassy" on Friday to recognize the holiday, despite the fact that it is not a national holiday here. We decided on decorating Christmas cookies and playing Christmas music. So, I geared up for this event all week. I bought the groceries I needed to bake the cookies and then baked on Wednesday and Thursday- sugar cookies in shapes of Snowmen, Angels, Christmas Trees and Stars. I bought LOTS of toppings to decorate the cookies with- smarties, sprinkles, gummies, gum drops and sours. The kids had a blast! I honestly don't think they had ever done anything like that before because they all kept pointing to the icing and asking, "What is that?" We demonstrated how to decorated the cookies and some kids took their time and made cookies that looked "Cok Guzel (Very beautiful)" while others opted to mix all three icing colours to make brown icing. Eww! Nonetheless, all of the kids had a good time. They all wanted to decorate Star cookies- probably becuase that shape is the most familiar to them. I love having the opportunity to interact with the kids in this school setting. The teacher is such a good man too. He welcomes me with a handshake each week and expresses his thanks to me at the end of each lesson. It's funny how we try to communicate with one another with our limited language capabilities. We've had to resort to google translate a couple of times. I have to laugh when the teacher joins in on our english songs and games. He one time moved a child aside so he could be part of reinactment of "5 Little Monkeys Jumping on the bed." He even decorated cookies as well and told the principal about our Christmas Party when he stopped by the classroom. Each week I enjoy my time in this grade one classroom. The kids run up to me as soon as I enter the classroom and give me hugs and immediately say "Hello, How are you? I'm fine." They don't let me even answer how I am. They just want to show me their amazing English Skills. I smile and affirm them. Please remember me as I continue to build relationships with these children and the teachers at this school. I hope they will come to know the meaning of Christmas. May they remember my love.

No comments: